Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Tonys 2010



A word on the Tony's. I attend this awards presentation more years than not, so this is not a "new" thing for me in New York. However, I do feel that it merits a shout out. If you didn't watch it on CBS, you can find it somewhere online on one of those Hulu things or something. I'm not going to recap. I will say, though, that every year after the Tony's, I walk out of Radio City Music Hall with renewed inspiration. I can genuinely say that I am so proud to be part of such a welcoming, wonderful community of actors that is Broadway. I am also equally as proud to see all of my friends onstage, overjoyed to show the world the fruits of their years of lessons, heartbreaks, and pavement pounding. It's a funny thing, this business. It can be exhilarating and it can be heartbreaking. One can win a Tony and then endure five years of rejection and unemployment. The one thing I can say about this business is that it is never boring. I, for one, am glad to have climbed onto the roller coaster.

A few other words for those of you that are ever planning on attending the Tony's. First off, eat beforehand. You will be sitting in the theatre for well over four hours, so, come to think of it, even if you have eaten, a hidden bag of trail mix in your sequined clutch will take you far. Second, wear something comfortable. Again, those seats can get really hard after four hours. Third, don't drink a lot of water. If you leave to use the facilities, you have to wait until the next commercial break to go back to your seat. And it really sucks if you are waiting in the lobby while Green Day is performing. All's I'm saying. Fourth, always go to the after parties of the shows that won. Not the ones that lost. Seriously, they're WAY more fun. Either way, it still always turns out to be a lovely and inspirational evening at Radio City.

That's my two cents on the Tony's. Next blog, we're back to doing new stuff in the city.

No comments: